Before I start all the silliness that this rambling deserves, indulge me a moment to reflect soberly.
Upon hearing the news of Adam West’s passing on Saturday, I immediately went to work updating a rambling that was previously only made available in The Drunken Diaries Volume II. “My Batman Story.” And to my shame, I hardly mentioned Batman (1966), either the television series or film, at all. Because it did play a huge part in my life. Especially my much younger years. The only mention I made of the work by Adam West, Burt Ward and the entire fantastic cast and crew was, “Sorry dudes, you came later.”
While there is truth in that statement, it’s hardly the whole story. At all.
I remember always coming inside during “lunch time” from playing outdoors to watch the back-to-back reruns of the television series that aired locally. I remember a family friend had recorded episodes for me on VHS, sans commercials et al. There was some documentary called, Holy Batmania! that I would watch ad nauseam, which focused on the ’89 Batman craze but spent a large chunk of time discussing the first Batman craze in ’66.
Although I’m nearly certain I had watched it previously, my first recollection of viewing the film I’m about to comment during, I was eight-years-old, wanting to get hyped for the soon-to-be released Batman & Robin.
I guess. The point is, without question, without the works of Adam West and everybody involved in the ’66 Batman series and film, more than likely, I wouldn’t be as big of a fan of this character that I love so dearly. The ’89 film certainly sparked my love for this character. The Adam West series solidified that passion.
Without further ado, I’ll begin drinking and enjoying this old friend of mine — Batman (1966).
- The pre-film ackowledgments. something that should come back. Plus the use of them here is pretty awesome.
- The opening credits are so 60’s.
- In the world in wich we live, post-9/11 owrld and everything else. It’s pretty funny seeing police take off their hats in sulute to the Batcpter.
- Plus there were reandom women in bikinis on rooftops. Seems noteworthy.
- I don’t remember it being this early. But already. The infamous. “Batrepellant Shark Sprayness.”
- Other “Oceanic Repellent Bat Sprauys” include: Baracuda, Whale and Manta-ray. Something about the Aquaman villain. Something.
- Batman’s not punching the shark on it’s noneness? BOOOOO!
- Russian womanness.
- Batman and Robin are deputized. Instresting.
- “But wait, it happened at sea! Sea. ‘C’ for Catwoman!” Gotta love it, man. Thanks, Burt. Well, really the credit goes to the writer person. but still.
- :Exploding shark… WAS PULLING MY LEG!”
“The Joker!”. God man. Such awesome dialogue.
- And. Of course. The Russian woman person was Catwoman.
- Da,m/ Tjey actually had a flame coming out of an umbrealla to light Penguin’s cigarette. In ’66. Awesome.
RANDOM SIDENOTE: About the joker. Nevermind the fact his hair is yellow, not green. His suit is pink, not purple. But. Cesar Romero’s mustache. It’s so distracting.
- Damn. They even used the interludey Bat syblol closeupness for the movie.
- The Batboat. Man. Such bluescreen.
- THE PENQUIN’S GODDAMN SUBMARINE!
- To be honest. As awesome as a pick for Penguin as Danny de Vito was…. there’s NO DOUBT… Burgess Merdith is the best to have the role. Legit. Although, blokes that did his voiceover over the years have been pretty swell as well. But still. Burgess all the way, man. Forreals. Legit.
- If that Return to the Batvave special thong on CBS like… 15 years ago was at all accurate about Burt Ward being the “stung Robin” in the Batmobile scenes. I wonder if that was him just now holding on to the side o the Batboat. Like. IRL and shit.
- Love the that sub’s scopeness is in the shape of a penguin’s head.
- So much awesomeness happening on the booey.
- “How will Batman and Robin escape this magnet trap?! Stay tuned next time! Same bat time! Same bat channel!”
- “If I could just… pry looose… my utility belt!” Man. Honestly. I’m wondering if the rose colored glasses are happening. Or if I’m actually loveing this.
- Like. I’m almost 30-years-old. And I have NO idea what Batman’s diing to keep these torpedos from hitting them.
- “CONFOUNDIT! THE BATTERIES ARE DEAD!” So good. Man. So good.
- Even MORE confgirmation of a DC movie univierse. In 1966. A random animal killed itself to save Batman and Robin. AWQUAMAN! DUH!
- The Pentagon… navy department is huge fans of Batman.
- “P. N. Guin.” Awesome.
- A pre=atomic submarine. Launching missiles into the air.
- “What does a turkey do when he flies upside down?” “What weighs six ounces sits in a tree and is very dangerous???”
- Adam West’s serious voice is sexy. I’m not gonna liel.
- He gobbles up. A sparrow with a machine gun. Jesus Christ. That last one man.
- Correct me if I’m wrong. But I’m pretty sure. This is the first time a “comic book movie” had villains that aimed to take over the entire world. Pinky and the Brain style.
- Hell man. Is this not the first comic book movie feature film?
- Gorshin’s crushing it. He’s going full-opn Pesci in JFK right now.
- Back in the day… you know… when Bruce Wayne was only a millionaire. THANKS FEDERAL RESERVE!
- HOLY SDHIT1 That was seriosuly. A Scorceesee=esque edit job. From Catwoman to bruce Wayne and shit. Forreals.
- “What a puitttt-fectly lovely idea” all ERussian and shit. Kudos.
- Apparently, back in ’66. Americans knew what “Dovetcha” or whatever menat.
- :What has yellow skin and writes?” A ballpoint bananna. “What people are always in a hurry?” Rushing people. RUSSIANS! “Russian.. bannana… I’VE GOT IT! Someone Russina is going to slip on a banana peal and break their neck!” Forreals man. Comegy can’t be this good.
- “Precidley Robin! The only clear and possible meaning! A clear threat to miss Kitka!”
- And here’ the moment my grandma liked in the movie. Afam West dancing with… Lee meriwether. My Grandma loves dance scenes. Don’t judge her.
41.5. I can’t beliee I actually spelled, “Kitka” right. Like. Off the top of my headness.
- And there it is. The random argument I had with Joshua. Something about how “The Dark Knight Rises‘ Is the only movie to never have the BAtsignal shone in the sky and such.
- Kitkaness is still happening.
- (INSTER OBLIGITORY RUSSIN/MODER REFERENCE HERE) OMG~! I hate TRUMP~! AMIRIGHT?!
- Bruce Wayne’s dick is getting the better of him. Obviously.
- “I have the stragest feeling that I’m about to be oddly and madly carried away”:! Anf shit.
- “The first fight scene happens before the half way point of the movie *** stars.” Say nerd critis in 18866.
- Alfred wearing a LEGIT Rovin mask in 1966? Awezome. Altyhought the context is probably pretty lame. But still. Awesome.
- Today’s “flying monkeys” will be protrayed by Bruce Wayne and the rogue’s gallery.
- And. Of course. Everybody’s confused about Batman’s nonrepsodse. Because. Bruce Wayne’s kidnapped. Aweness. For what it is.
- “You obinable outlaws!” Delivered as only Adam West can.
- bRUCE Wayne threatening to kill his WHOLE rogue’s gallery in 1966?! LEFTI?! And… Batman c Superman wast too violent? Huh?
- At least… Arkham City proved how awesoje “Mr. Wayne” can be.
- Now. All of a suden. Mr. Wayne. And Ms. Kitka are given a handcuffed congecal visit.
- “If I could just… get at it.” Bruce wayna. Being all Batman style.
- The fuck? How did Kitka get into her Catwoman get up so quickly? Forreals? Did I meiss something?
- Bruce wayne punches his way out of the clutchers of the wordls’ freated criminal underworld and stuffs.
- And Commissioner Gordon is none the wqise.r Obviouslty.
- Stuffs and things about the “foilming of the batvave exit” du e to unions. THere’s an awesoe youtube video about this. I swear. But lazy.
- The rogue’s gallery is having some sort of discussion and shit. Bu like. I’m just wondering. When the fuck. Did it become offical. That Ridder’s hair is orange? Or. You knowl He’s all gfingerfied. O r whatever. I meanl. Gorshin wasn’t red/orange haired. Honestlty. Off the tp of my bat-lknowledge. It began with The Animated Series. But I don’t know for surew. Challenge ME!
- Something about the de-humidifier thing. That turns the FGPs to dust.
- Something about bringing them back to life. With water? Basically. THe anti-witch of the werst?
- Oh noes~! Batman wnad Robin are at the docks.
- RTHE SCENS IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN!
- Something about “alcoholiuc illusions.” :$
- Alan Rickles? Was tyhat the window cameo? Well. Mother fucker. I can’t even guse Bat-google to figure out who that cameo was. I ‘m done.
- Herew. It. Is. THE swquense. The sequenjce of all sequences. With the bomb. Let’s do this.
- BATMAN TELLS THE BAR TO FLEE FOR THEIR LIVES!@
- BUT TWO FAT WOMEN IGNORE HIM!
- TYEN THERES NUNES@!
- THERE’S A WOMAN PUSHING A BABY IN A CARRIEAGE@!
- THE MARCHING BAND IN STILL HAPPENING!
- EVEN THOUGH THE MARCHING BAND CONSISTS OF TWO-THREE PEOPLE!
- THERE’S PEOPLES CLINGONG UP ON THE DOCKS.
- PEOPLE STILL ON THE DOCKS.
- PEOPLE KISSING ON A BOAT OFF OF THE DOCKS!
- SOIMTHINE FLAMMABLE HAPPEING!
- MORE NUNS!
- MORE BABY CARRIAGES AND MARCHING BANDS OF TWO PEOPLE!
- AND FUCKING DUCKS IN THE WATER!
- THERE IT IS MOTHER FUCKERS@!
“Some days, you just can’t get rid of a bomb!”
- Finally. The bomb explodes. Off camera in the water. Calm down guys. No one was harmed inthe creation of this motion picture.
- “HOLY HEAERT FAILURE!”
- “They may be drinkers, ERobin. But they’re also… human beings.”
- Burgess. Being awesome now.
- Adan west hyst dekuvered lkubes, As a ribot. Legit. Shit. Typos. And those lines were amazing. About fingerprints.
- Something about the Batvace. And Britheshnes. And. How the hell have I not spelled “Batvave” correctly. FUCKING ONCE?!
- “The drinking water dispensor is CLEARLY marked!”|
“DRINKING WATER DISPENSER”
- P.N. Guin hydrates the dust! Time to fight! BAM~! POW~! STYLE~!
- Or. Wait. Not at all.
- “In this universe” and such.
93.5. I’m pretty sure those are called “uppers.”
- Man. Batman and Robin are all about the 21st century NS ahit. Tracking Penguin to the hidehout and ahsit.
- Villainyness is villainous.
- Riddler’s abouta cause some shit on his own. Such villainry.
- The Batcopter’s going upside down or some shit?!
- More missiles itnot the sky?! Pre- atomic?!
- The fuck’s going on. Oh. The Batcoiper. Just laned safley. On the docks. Obviously.
- Something all Alex Jones-y is happejoing. “united world oranization.”
- SUCH BLUE SCREEN RUNNING! GLOBALISTS! Fuck. I hope I don’t make this all Alex Jonesy now.
- Something’s happening? About a robbery?
- Oh shit. The demidifier! At the UN thing.
- CLIMAX such awesome!
- And it’s all Mr. Freeze style! SUCK IT!
- $!ni;;ion cash. Frpm eacj cpimtru/ Now they’re talking.
- BATBOAT AGIN!
- Still wonder if thart’s legit Burt Ward holind on for his life.
- Something about torgpedo s firring.
- Ugh man. Burgess is the best Penguin. Unless WB/DC hires Toby… what’s his fact.
- Something abnout shooting the sub wth…. somtign. That makes colorful explosions happen on scrreen.
- Here’s the “BAM~!” “POW~!” fight I’ve been waiting for. Legit. I thought it happened WAY before this. ut oh wels.
- Kitka = Catwomanness.
- Fucking. Great facials by Adam West. happening. Right now.
- Bat symbol. All zooming in and out. Of course. Now back in the Batvace. FUCK. I still can’t speell it right. BOIOOOOO!
- Something about LBJ.
- Something about rehydration.
- THE climax is Batman and Robin spraying water. On dust. FTW!
- LBJ doesn’t even have a southern accent? BOOOOOOO!
- “West Germany” was still a thing. Obviously.
- Isreal is there too Because. Obviously. “Palestine.”
- So. The moral of the story is. Politics as usual. GTFO.
Oh yeah. And. There was some sort of “MANDELLA~! EFFECT~! NESS~! HAPPENING~1” About the repellanty. But. GTFO.
And., Man. Forreals.
I you watch this. And don’t crack the SLIGHTEST smile. You are soulless with no heart. Oviously.